An embassy is the main location for a diplomatic presence of one country in another. A country has at most one embassy in another country, and most embassies are located in capital cities. Consulates are like branch offices of the embassy; a nation can have several consulates in another country, usually located in all major cities of that country.http://www.diffen.com
Political and diplomatic relations are usually handled from the embassy. Consulate workers handle travel and immigration issues, help in improving trade between the countries, and facilitate cultural exchange.
Guys I can not express how important it is to have a note of your Embassy or Consulate. Basically, (as noted above) Embassies are located in Hanoi, the capital and Consulates are found in Ho Chi Minh.
Use the link above and find your country, open the link and screen shot the page, share with your friends and family.
Why should you know?
#1 You have lost your passport.
So many travellers lose their passports during their vacation and get rather flustered, as they don’t know what to do. Firstly, you need to visit a police station and report it either lost/stolen and ask them to produce a written report. Additionally inform them of your visa situation if applicable. You then take this to the embassy/consulate to cancel that passport. Following this you start the procedure for a new passport. Fill in the form, passport pics and payment. Get your new passport and then investigate the visa situation, if that applies.
#2 You are a victim of crime.
Wether this is an assault against your body or your property. The embassy can help to some extent. They may be able to help with translation if needed. Contact a local doctor, lawyer, friends or family. Aid in getting money from your home country * restrictions apply.
They can not provide legal advice nor give evidence on your behalf. Help with travel costs.
#3 You get in trouble with law enforcement.
If you find yourself in this situation, you can contact your Embassy/High Commission. Or in some cases this will be done via your employer as part of the local law. They maybe able to help in the following ways:
- Inform you about the local legal system and what to expect from the detention process.
- Give you a list of local lawyers and/or interpreters.
- If you have any medical issues, the embassy can help to ensure that these are acknowledged and are handled appropriately.
- Aid family in sending finical aid to you.
- Be a confidant for any ill treatment that might take place.
- Cover any expenses you incur, wether this is lawyer fees, fines or bail.
- Be able to get you special treatment for being a foreigner, but rather see you are treated equally to a native charged with the same crime.
- They can not get you out of jail. In some cases embassies will ask for them to be handed over and trialed in their home country.
- Prevent any deportation.
- Arrange for your belongings to be cared for, or rent to be paid etc
Disclaimer: Please note that any information displayed is from my research and may differ to other sources. In addition, please do not confuse my opinions with factual data. Photography displayed are either my own, from a paid subscription or royalty free; and are not to be copied without permission.
Check out some of my other posts;
Looking to try out some local Vietnamese cuisine, then check this out. And don’t forget to visit Food Part 1.
A little information on how to get yourself a Vietnamese sim card and how to buy data packages.
If you are a foreigner in Vietnam, please read. It’s important to know the details of your Embassy. You never know when you need the information.